If this allegation is proven, it’s a particularly damning assessment of actions to undermine National Security while promoting an administration’s agenda. If even one of the five accusations is proven, the implications are enormous of a sitting administration’s appointees actively conspiring to alter intelligence reports to match what the administration is promoting as fact to further its aims.
Summary of Accusations
- Perjuring Testimony before Congress regarding the Border Wall
- Changing intelligence reports to support administration policies in denying asylum for Central American refugees
- Changing intelligence assessments to downplay Russian election interference and to highlight Iran and China instead.
- Changing intelligence on local threats to highlight “left” leaning groups
- Changing intelligence to support President’s public statements re “ANTIFA and “anarchist” groups.”
- Brian Murphy (“Mr. Murphy”),Principal Deputy Under Secretary in the Office of Intelligence and Analysis, Whistleblower
- Kirstjen Nielsen (“Secretary Nielsen”), former DHS Secretary
- Miles Taylor (“Mr. Taylor”), former Deputy Chief of Staff to Secretary Nielsen
- Chad Wolf (“Mr. Wolf”), the Senior Official currently serving as Acting DHS Secretary
- Kenneth Cuccinelli (“Mr.Cuccinelli”), the Senior Official serving as Deputy DHS Secretary.
- Kristen Marquardt (“Ms. Marquadt” [sic]), Senior Counselor To the Secretary at Department of Homeland Security
- Clare Grady (“Ms. Grady”), then-Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Deputy Secretary
- David Glawe (“Mr. Glawe”), Office of Intelligence and Analysis Under Secretary
- Matthew Hanna (“Mr. Hanna”), Mr. Glawe’s Chief of Staff
From the posted complaint at intelligence.house.gov, copy below
Page 4: Perjured Testimony before Congress regarding the Border Wall
On or about October 29, 2018, Mr. Glawe informed Mr. Murphy that instructions from Mr. Taylor and Ms. Marquadt had been issued for Mr. Murphy to ensure the intelligence assessments he produced for Secretary Nielsen’s review supported the policy argument that large numbers of KSTs [known or suspected terrorists] were entering the United States through the southwest border.page 5
Page 9: Changing intelligence reports to support administration policies in denying asylum for Central American refugees
Mr. Cuccinelli stated he wanted changes to the information outlining high levels of corruption, violence, and poor economic conditions in the three respective countries. Mr. Cuccinelli expressed frustration with the intelligence reports, and he accused unknown “deep state intelligence analysts” of compiling the intelligence information to undermine President Donald J. Trump’s (“President Trump”) policy objectives with respect to asylum. Notwithstanding Mr. Murphy’s response that the intelligence reports’ assessments were consistent with past assessments made for several years, Mr. Cuccinelli ordered Messrs. Murphy and Glawe to identify the names of the “deep state” individuals who compiled the intelligence reports and to either fire or reassign them immediatelypage 9
Page 10: Changing intelligence assessments to downplay Russian election interference and to highlight Iran and China instead.
In mid-May 2020, Mr. Wolf instructed Mr. Murphy to cease providing intelligence assessments on the threat of Russian interference in the United States, and instead start reporting on interference activities by China and Iran. Mr. Wolf stated that these instructions specifically originated from White House National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien.page 12
The two men met on July 8, 2020, at which time Mr. Wolf stated to Mr. Murphy the intelligence notification should be “held” because it “made the President look bad”. Mr. Murphy objected, stating that it was improper to hold a vetted intelligence product for reasons for political embarrassment. In response, Mr. Wolf took steps to exclude Mr. Murphy from relevant future meetings on the subject. The draft product was eventually completed without Mr. Murphy’s involvement and was made public in a leak to the media by unknown individuals. It is Mr. Murphy’s assessment that the analysis in the leaked “completed draft” attempts to place the actions of Russia on par with those of Iran and China in a manner that is misleading and inconsistent with the actual intelligence datapage 12
Page 12: Change intelligence on local threats to highlight “left” leaning groups
Mr. Cuccinelli stated that Mr. Murphy needed to specifically modify the section on White Supremacy in a manner that made the threat appear less severe, as well as include information on the prominence of violent “left-wing” groups.page 13
Page 15: Change intelligence to support President’s public statements
During multiple meetings between the end of May 2020 and July 31, 2020, Mr. Murphy made protected disclosures to Messrs. Wolf and Cuccinelli regarding abuse of authority and improper administration of an intelligence program with respect to intelligence information on ANTIFA and “anarchist” groups operating throughout the United States. On each occasion, 15 Mr. Murphy was instructed by Mr. Wolf and/or Mr. Cuccinelli to modify intelligence assessments to ensure they matched up with the public comments by President Trump on the subject of ANTIFA and “anarchist” groups.page 15